The inaugural Gulf Youth Sport Awards took place at Hartland International School on Friday 17 September as the sporting community took time to reflect on some of the success stories of the last 12 months.
In a challenging year for everyone involved in youth sports the awards gave athletes, teachers and coaches the opportunity to gain the recognition they deserve for their amazing contributions to UAE sporting family.
With over 31,000 votes cast across social media and the awards website, interest in the finalists was sky high as each individual’s story was given a platform ahead of the awards ceremony.
With the online voting counting towards 50% of the overall decision, a panel of five independent judges made up the remainder of the vote which crowed winners across eight prize categories.
ARN’s Head of Sport Chris McHardy hosted the awards evening alongside Gulf Youth Sport’s Managing Director Andrew Cook.
A full run down of the finalists and winners can be viewed below:
Female Coach of the Year
- Candice Fanucci (Pirates Surf Rescue Sport Academy)
- Holly Jervis (Absolute Gymnastics)
- Lisa Campbell (Ultimate Athletics)
- Rachel Tuckey (Desert Girls Netball Club)
Male Coach of the Year
- Greg Andrews (Dubai Sharks RFC)
- Stuart Sant (Hamilton Aquatics)
- Adam Felix (Empire Football Club)
- Charlie Ralph (Heroes of Hope)
Female PE Teacher of the Year
- Jayne Jauncey (Kent College Dubai)
- Kim Janes (DBS Jumeirah Park)
- Lisa Garrett (NLCS Dubai)
- Marnie Grant (Repton Abu Dhabi)
Male PE Teacher of the Year
- Charles Leota (Repton Abu Dhabi)
- Matt Christensen (Greenfield Int School)
- Paul King (Dubai Heights Academy)
- Ryan Beasant (English College Dubai)
Outstanding Display of Courage
- David Vellinga (Kent College)
- Grace Coward (GEMS Wellington Academy SO)
- Sara Donovan (Dubai British School)
- Sarah Nordin (Kent College)
Contribution to Youth Sport
- Alex Taylor (Dubai British School)
- Seth Amoafo (PASS Abu Dhabi)
- Susanne Skelding (Active Netball)
- Umar Hameed (AIS Athletics)
Female Athlete of the Year
- Amenah Almuhairi (Waves Swim & Sports Academy)
- Naya Al Ghazzi (Deira International School & Aram Gymnastics Club)
- Shamsa Almheiri (Kings School Al Barsha & Al Shir’aa Stables)
- Ayesha Youlton (Little Stars Sports Club)
- Jasmine Pitman (Ulitmate Athletics & BISAD)
Male Athlete of the Year
- Daniel Smyllie (BISAD & Aspire Gymnastics)
- Mousa Shana’ah (GEMS First Point & JA The Resort Golf Club)
- Waleed Sadek (Kings School Al Barsha & Ultimate Athletics)
- Yannick Kraus (Ultimate Athletics)
- Nell Ashley Suerte (Filipino Runners United)
A full run down of all finalists and their inspirational stories can be viewed on the GYS Awards website by clicking here.
A huge well done to all nominees, finalists and winners – we look forward to welcoming you all back to the Gulf Youth Sport Awards in 2022.